Thursday, February 24, 2005

Some days are like this

I got a call last night to work today, stuffing envelopes and such in midtown. I got out at about 4:30pm and was maybe 12 blocks from Central Park and still hadn't made time to see The Gates. So I went. They weren't anything spectacular, and aside from the amount of work that must have gone into the project, I don't see why it's so special.

Either way, I took the opportunity to walk around the park a little, something I've been meaning to do since I got here. It was snowing pretty good, which just added to the whole experience. My day of work wasn't particularly tough, and now I was immersed in man-made nature. I stood on the bridge in the snowfall, watching ducks, seeing kids ice skating in the nearby rink, listening to the music coming out of the nearby PA, just absorbing everything that is great about New York City in winter. Say what you will about this place; it was as much a moment of zen as anything I've ever had. Awesome. The Park is my new favorite hangout, come rain, snow, or sun.

I headed for the train, dusted off about three pounds of snow as I got to the platform, and grinned like an idiot all the way home. Greatest city in the world indeed.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Sounds like something out of a movie, or something that could end up in a screenplay. Just sayin'.