Thursday, March 03, 2005

Beyond the uniform

I think my biggest issue the other day was I've graduated beyond jobs that give me uniforms. I don't want to go there anymore. A dress code is one thing, but being given strict instructions and being handed half of what I'm supposed to wear just makes me feel like that much more of a peon. No thank you.

I started my own PC Repair shop out of my home. I still work as a freelance writer/editor. I wear whatever I want, I work whenever I want. I meet really cool people. Going back to a uniform is a step in the wrong direction, methinks.

Then I came to NYC and really encountered office jobs full force for the first time (Cedar Point was an office job, but had a uniform), and realized once again that, even at the peon level, there's just something a smidge more respectable about being dressed in my own clothes. I told Marcie (@ Atrium) that I would do anything in the city today, just to get myself some damn hours. Lo and behold, not four hours later, she called me with a two-week assignment at a jewelry warehouse in downtown Manhattan.

I'm here to do New York things, not to regurgitate Ohio things and roll around in them. Recognize.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Ooooh! A jewelry warehouse. So are you going to be scoring some of us ladyfriends some bling bling?

Congrats on the work!