Saturday, November 05, 2005

Table of Contents

So I'm reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk, and it's suitably awesome so far. The crux of the tale is the retelling in third person of the life story of this totally self-absorbed, me me me model bitch. And as I'm reading, the following dawns on me:

If I or someone else were to write my life story into a book, what would the table of contents look like?

This question begs several considerations. For one, do you order things chronologically, or by importance in the overall scheme of things, organized for maximum reader interest and/or climax in the story arc? For another, what have you DONE in your life that would be noteworthy enough to have a heading or chapter devoted unto it?

Womanizers could outline their life as a series of women they nailed. Pet owners could classify the elements of their existence by the quantity, quality, and order of the pets that they had. You could list jobs, family, income fluctuations, places you lived, cars you owned, parallel it to technological or medical advancements, sort it by when you started/stopped liking certain types of foods, movies, music, or people. Shit, this could go on and on.

So I ask you, dear readers, to leave here in my comment box, some sort of outline for YOUR life while I ponder how the hell I'd put together my own. What are the ingredients of your personality, your character, your life?

No comments: