Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Born 50 years late

It's one thing that I have the kind of values that haven't existed in this country since just after WWII. Nevermind that I find movies like Pleasantville mesmerizing, not only for their political/racial/gender commentary but for that idealization of the world in the 50's. I can shrug that stuff off sometimes in favor of some newer thing that wouldn't have been there for my benefit five decades ago.

Folk music emerging in the last two score is a harder thing to ignore. Why do I just lock up, physically and mentally, every time I hear Puff the Magic Dragon or Annie's Song or It's In Every One Of Us? Those songs about the eternal truths, the essence of what it is to be human and alive, they break me. They consume me. I can't process any other information when I hear them. They take me someplace else. I don't know where it is, but I love going there. It's murder on my productivity though.

7 comments:

elvira black said...

The fifties? Yuck.

You mention folk, but when I think folk, I think more early Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Tom Paxton, Pete Seeger, (and PPM of course--they're in there but not really for that song). The ones you mention aren't fifties and/or folk songs anyway??

I'm confused, already. Help me out here. Don't get me wrong--you're fascinating. Just trying to get the picture in clearly. Don't make me have to call the cable guy!

Leslie said...

In a weird kind of way, that's exactly how I feel about cemeteries. More on that later.

Lord Boinkingham said...

What I was getting at is that my brain feels like it should have grown up from 1950 to 1980, not 1977 to whenever. I'm nostalgic for a time that I was never alive for.

Also, those were specific songs that "get" me. Maybe I should have left out the use of a genre at large.

Lord Boinkingham said...

Leslie: I think I know what you mean about cemeteries. I walk thru them, look at the names and the dates, and get lost trying to imagine what their lives were like, what major world events happened in their time, where they started out, and how the ended up here. Is it sorta like that?

Leslie said...

YES IT'S EXACTLY LIKE THAT! Wow, no one else has ever been able to understand that part of me.

Be mine.

Lord Boinkingham said...

Les: I kept staring at your last comment, one of those moments when two people "get" each other on some surreal level. Feels good, don't it?

So, how do you feel about long distance relationships? :)

Leslie said...

Oh it feels FANTASTIC. More fantastic than I care to admit.

Long distance? Depends on with who, of course. =)