Saturday, September 16, 2006

9/11/2001

I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to post my thoughts about the day anyway....

9/11/2001
I still know where I was and what I was doing. Got up for Latin class, went straight there (no TV, no radio), and everybody was talking about "it" and how surreal it was to even bother coming to class, so we'd only have a half-session then head home. I was freaking out. WHA'D I MISS??? But I didn't want to be the one guy in the world who didn't know what was going on.

I got back home, turned on the TV and the computer, and couldn't move the rest of the afternoon. Finally around 7pm, I couldn't deal with it anymore, so I called up my uncle and went to his place for dinner. We talked about daily stuff to avoid the topic at hand and rampant misguided speculation.

Around 9pm I headed back to my teeny tiny apartment in Bowling Green, the events of earlier that day replaying in my head constantly, and amidst the dark road and the cool air, it felt so far away, yet so close.

That night, I too cried. When I see the footage these days, it's still hard not to. It really is the defining event of our generation. Let's hope nothing worse happens in our lifetime.

No comments: