Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Resurrection

So I killed my laptop yesterday, then brought it back from the dead. Oddly enough, I think this was the same process that killed my old laptop (man I wish I still had that one) but I had no idea at the time.

My current notebook/laptop is a POS. It's a Sony VAIO PCG-K33. Integrated video, shared memory, fucking EWW EWW EWW. Never again. There are good Sony's out there, but they're overpriced.

Anyway, I was monkeying around with it inside, seeing if I could remove parts of the case to give it better ventilation since it's an overheating mofo. It runs shitty when it overheats, which is all the time, which is what makes it a POS.

I finally gave up (laptops are really not designed to be messed around with inside by users) and put everything back, hit the power button, and nothing really happened. The power light and the fan came on, but that was it. Deja fucking vu.

This is EXACTLY what happened to my old laptop. I was trying to add RAM, and the stick I bought to add was causing all kinds of weird errors so I finally took it out and put the original back where it was, and then this same MO struck that machine. I took it to Best Buy, and....well, you read my Best Buy post a while back.

ANYWAY, I take it apart again and put things back where they were, not knowing at all that any of this would have anything to do with it. After re-seating the RAM (taking it out, putting it back in snugly) the thing booted up just fine. WTF?

I'm in the market for a new laptop anyway, so this would probably be a good time to push ahead with that plan. I'll prolly get one from www.ibuypower.com where I got my current lovely desktop. The thing is so cutting edge, Circuit City doesn't even sell the parts yet.

So the moral of the story is, re-seat your RAM when your computer stops working IF you were just monkeying with your RAM.

Um, yeah.

No comments: