Thursday, May 03, 2007

Maturity

David Jaffe is head honcho at Incognito Studios, a second-party company in the Sony Computer Entertainment umbrella that makes PlayStation stuff. Incog used to be SingleTrac, responsible for some great stuff on the PS1 and PS2, including Warhawk and the better Twisted Metal games.

So now he's releasing a downloadable game for the PS3 that costs $10, has 4 levels, and is essentially an online version of the fun modes from Smuggler's Run on the PS2, Loot Grab and....whatever the other mode was called. In any case, you drive like mad to pick up an item, then try to carry it to a drop off point, all the while dodging your opponents who can steal the item by simply running into you.

This was fun in Smuggler's Run. It's the reason I still own the game. I could probably understand some people buying the thing he's pushing here (called Calling All Cars). However, one lousy review from GameSpot got him talking and re-analyzing what goes into a game review. Nevermind that most of the other reviews of it have been good. Hell, one of my friends didn't think 300 was a very good movie, despite the majority of people thinking it rocked. Who am I more likely to listen to, one guy or dozens of others?

In any case, I don't care that he questions the review process, stating that maybe it needs to be more clearly defined, have better market disclosure and analysis in the review body, or that smaller downloadable games should be rated on a different scale--and thus, different criteria--than major retail releases. He can think what he wants, he can blog his concerns.

What bothered me was that he--as a respected member of the gaming industry, figurehead for good game development, and someone with reasonable influence in the industry--stooped to say things like the following:

"...before any of you cowards who don't post your real fucking names tell me that I should stop crying, here's a big, juicy: 'GO FUCK YOUR MOTHER UP HER JIGGLY ASS TWAT' for you. Go ahead: Take it; that's right, it's just for you! So take it and shove it up your ass there real good!

"Why is that such a sign of weakness to some of you pricks? I swear I don't know. But either way, I can live with you asshats if you can live with me."

"TO THE LAME ASS WEBSITE THAT SHALL GO UNNAMED (ed: www.joystiq.com)- Fuck you, guys. Go fuck yourselves. What other developer makes a fucking change to a game when a review (IGN's in this case) has a good, valid point and is willing to open the fucking code up at the risk of more bugs to make the game better? Amazing.But hey, you guys are great, you guys rock. I hope Kotaku fucking puts your ass out of business, wanna be fucktards. And if you were actual journalists you would have read the motherfucking quote I posted on NEOGAF where I said because of the two bugs we needed to fix (not because I was afraid of the bargin bin) we had a window of opp. to fix the magnet problem. Assholes...total fucking assholes."

First amendment, free speech, yadda yadda. I'm fine with him saying what he feels. What kind of appalls me is that someone I respected a few hours ago has acted like such a forum troll/goon. Name-calling, excessive profanity, and then calling out the very people he's acting like for being degenerates. Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear) would never do this. Shigeru Miyamoto (Super Mario) would never do this. Hell, I wouldn't expect this level of behavior from Howard Stern. He even admits it's a pissing contest by kicking off that last rant with "I gotta get off a final parting shot before I go."

Grow the hell up.

Add yet another reason to why I won't be supporting Sony's gaming biz for a long, LONG time, and me being a guy who owns three PS1s and two PS2s. In a way, I'm hoping Sony chastizes him for acting out like this. Chris Hecker, one of the devs behind the upcoming life-sim game Spore, recently bashed the Nintendo Wii publicly, and recanted the next day. I wasn't there, but I suspect the rest of his team said "WTF?" and asked him to change his tune before their next game gets completely ignored.

No comments: