Monday, July 16, 2007

PS3, or not PS3

I was perfectly happy waiting to get a PS3 until some games actually came out, comfy in the fact that we (the U.S.) weren't getting screwed out of hardware backward compatibility for all PS2 and PS1 games. The recent price drop from $600 to $500 didn't phase me either since I still didn't want any of the meager offerings currently available for the system.

Then I read this explanation for the price drop, and how it's really only being done to get people to buy a system no one cares about. There are only so many that are going to be available at this price, but again, meh. Then another nugget came out, stating that we ARE in fact getting screwed just like our friends across the Atlantic, and that the Emotion Engine will be removed to lower costs, screwing over hardware backward compatibility for the vastly inferior and far less supported route of software emulation.

So not only are they shoving the old unsold launch systems at us under the guise of a lower price point, but it's actually the better version of the hardware (you can always give yourself a much bigger hard drive later, as posted here), and the new version that they're actually saving money on, they're raising the price of, in a sense.

So now I face having to buy a console I'm not really ready to buy that has nothing to play on it, or lose the one key hardware feature I even give a crap about right now. It'd be like knowing the PS2 was going to lose DVD playback functionality six months after release, since that was a big selling point for me 6.5 years ago.

The only reasonable option I see is to put a 60GB PS3 on layaway somewhere and hope that something worthwhile comes out in the next 90 days to justify the asking price. At that point, I can choose to take it or leave it. But I don't like it. Sony is eroding even more faith with the dwindling fan base with moves like this.

No comments: